Signed in as:
Signed in as:
Ignorantly mistaken as a safe option for rodent control, rodenticides are dangerous to children, domestic pets, and wildlife. A majority of baits on the market today require multiple feedings to be effective, allowing semi-poisoned rodents to run freely while relocating poisoned granules around our communities. The green or blue coloring can easily appear as candy to children, and it contains a scent attractant that lures domestic pets.
Most rodenticide poisoning stores in the liver of the poisoned animal while the chemical decreases blood-clotting abilities, eventually causing the animal to bleed out. A poisoned rodent becomes lethargic, which makes it easier prey for an unsuspecting predator, who in turn will ingest the poison. One poisoned mouse can kill an entire family of nestlings, offsetting the natural order and allowing rodents the upper hand.
Although not all rodenticide chemicals work the same way, they all still have the ability to affect non-target species. Please never use rat poison. There are many other products on the market that can help eliminate rodent problems, and it starts with changing habitat.
Learn about chemical pesticides - National Pesticide Information Center
How rat poison affects children - http://saferodentcontrol.org/site/risks-for-children/
How rat poison affects wildlife - Raptors are the solution.org
Multi-catch traps tend to be live traps; however, most can be made into kill traps if needed. They tend to be the most effective and humane and can catch over 10 rodents in one night. Most of these traps require apurchased online however they are inexpensive, can be made from scrap if you are handy, and are very effect
Never use glue traps outdoors. Any animal caught in a glue trap needs medical attention from a rehab facility. Please do not try to handle the issue on your own. Several common problems occur from glue traps: Non-target species such as birds and lizards get caught in them; fur and feathers get ripped out and bones broken while non-target species try to escape; and animals get released without someone with experience properly cleaning and examining them.
Step 1: Dust the exposed glue to stop anything else from getting stuck.
Step 2: Layer the work area with newspaper and paper towels to catch any oil or glue.
Step 3: Apply a small amount of oil to the feathers and wait. Do not pull the animal off at all. Be patient and let the oil work its magic.
Step 4: Once the animal is off the trap, blot as much of the oil off the feathers. Stroke the feathers with the grain away from the body.
Step 5: Let the bird rest and lower its stress level. Place the animal in a warm, dark, quiet, dry spot where it can feel comfortable enough to sleep.
Step 6: Call a rehab and drive the animal to the appropriate facility for continued treatment. The animal will most likely need x-rays, antibiotics, and multiple baths at a rehab center.